Friday, September 9, 2011

Updates and a fun Fall Recipe: Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Cupcakes

I have had a lot going on lately and have not had very much time for blogging because of it .  There is so much I would like to blog about right now and I can't.  It has been so long since I blogged that blogger has changed things and looks totally different now, I don't do well with change haha.

Things have just been crazy!  Our van broke down on the way to Karma's dermatology appointment that we waited MONTHS for.  Now, because of that, our rescheduled appt is Nov 21!!  This is just ridiculous!  Her little legs look awful! I had a bad feeling I shouldn't drive the van, I was worried because it was leaking radiator fluid.  I didn't want to miss the appointment though so I went for it.  Ironically, the radiator was not a factor at all in the cause of the break down.  While driving on the highway a belt snapped which caused a chain reaction of a minimum of 3 other problems as the broken belt got caught in various things.  We are looking at a minimum of $500-600 in repairs, money we definitely do not have but what can you do, we have to have a van or we can never leave the house!


the van coming home after it's long ordeal

I planned on writing a post yesterday as a 1 Week update for the 30 Make Your Bed Challenge but between the van, recent knowledge of my poor Teddy being bullied at school (saving that for it's own post!) and the fact that yesterday was my BDay and I was stuck at home with the kids while Ted had to work all day (6:30am until after 10:30 pm thanks to some fluke things at work) I was just not in the blogging mood.  Now I have decided to just wait until next week and just do a Midway Challenge Update instead.

Upcoming Blogs I have planned and hope to get up in the next 2ish weeks:
Review (and Giveaway!) of Bamboo Natural Eco Friendly Disposable Diapers
Tutorial on how to use Flat Diapers with Rock-a-bye Booty Covers
Part 3 in our Adoption Story called "Unexpected Surprises"
A blog on Teddy and being bullied in school already, they start so young!
30 Day Make Your Bed Challenge Midway Update/Recap

For now, I am cheating and just posting a recipe I posted last Fall on 3 Moms and A Kitchen because Fall is fast approaching and these are really yummy.  I planned on making some this weekend but now I have no way of getting to the store for the ingredients.  To make the cupcakes healthier try adding some wheat flour, I planned on trying them half and half (half wheat and half white).

And can I just say that OMG I so do NOT like this new blogger, ARGH!


Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Cupcakes



These cupcakes would make a fun alternative to the traditional pumpkin (or sweet potato) pie.
The recipe is interchangeable between the 2, the only thing you need to chance is the 1st ingredient based on what flavor you would like.  Although, I must admit I was a tad disappointed with the sweet potato ones.  While in batter form they smelled and tasted like sweet potatoes but once backed they smelled and tasted just like the pumpkin.

mashed sweet potatoes
What You Will Need:
2 cups of cooked mashed sweet potatoes (or 1 can pumpkin puree-1 can is just shy of 2 cups but worked just fine, or you can even use Suchada's recipe and  make your own pumpkin puree)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup canola oil <--- I now use Sunflower or Coconut Oil for all of my baking
3 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg


Step 1: Start the Batter-
Mix sweet potatoes, sugar, brown sugar, and oil together in a large mixing bowl.

add in eggs 1 at a time, mixing until well combined in between each egg

Step 2: Mix dry ingredients and combine with batter-
In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.  For the pumpkin cupcakes I did only 1 tsp of cinnamon and did a tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice in place of the other tsp of cinnamon and the nutmeg.  This is optional though, I did it because I actually had some pumpkin pie spice and wanted to try it in something haha.
Once dry ingredients are combined mix with the wet, adding slowly and stirring well between each addition.

Step 3: Bake and Ice Cupcakes-
Line a muffin tin with paper liners.  Fill paper liners about 2/3-3/4 full.
Bake at 350 20-22 minutes.
Batter will make 24-25 cupcakes.
Ice with cream cheese icing.  I knew I was making both kinds and had a lot to do already so I cheated and just used store bought icing for this step, that's why there is not recipe attached for the icing.
I garnished the sweet potato cupcakes with mini marshmallows and used crushed pecans on the pumpkin.


Teddy was Mr. Popularity today at preschool when we walked in with our cupcakes.  He was so excited and so proud of them, made all the hard work worth it.

Love,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...