Thursday, December 1, 2011

December's 30 Day Challenge and some Updates

So it's December 1, time to announce the December 30 Day Challenge (one of these days I am going to remember to announce it a few days before the month starts I swear).

November's Challenge was sort of a bust in my home.  I only used to crock pot 16 out of 30 days.  So I averaged every other day.  That's not too bad right??  I hope some of you managed to do better than I did.  I would love to hear how it went for you.  I apologize now for not posting more crock pot recipes, I totally meant to, it's just hard to find enough computer time each day to do everything I want to do.

This challenge has nothing to do with the special Holiday Bloggy Comment Love Challenge I am doing.  They are separate. 
I did sign up for Twitter though as part of the Comment Love Challenge.  Zoie @ TouchstoneZ had an AWESOME idea for a Twitter hashtag we could use to go with it.  So I am now Twitter-tastic on "the Twitter" so please feel free to check me out and maybe follow me @MommyOutnumber
I have been wanting to create a Twitter acct for awhile now, this just gave me the nudge to finally do it.

On to December's Challenge.....

December will be 30 Day Make Your Own Bread Products Challenge


I came up with this idea because I realized I do this already on everything EXCEPT bread.  I make all of my own dinner rolls, pizza crusts, hoagie buns, hamburger buns, hotdog buns, etc but when it comes to just plain bread I keep buying it.

So for the month of December I invite you all to take this challenge with me.  Do not buy any bread products from the store, make them all yourself at home.  I like making my own bread products because I can control what is in our food better that way.  Bread products are some of the worst offenders when it comes to the sneak HFCS, you really have to read and watch the labels closely.  It also saves tons of money to make your own vs buying at the store.

Now, when I first suggested the idea on FB many asked me how I made all of those things.  The answer is simple.  I have 1 dough recipe that I absolutely love.  I use it for everything.  I just shape the dough into whatever I am trying to make.  If I want dinner rolls I make small balls from the dough, hamburger buns are just dinner rolls about twice the size.  For pizza crust or bread sticks I just roll out thinly in a circle(ish) shape.  This is even the dough I use when I make cinnamon rolls. mmmmmmmmm cinnamon rolls!

Now, I cannot cook to well with all whole wheat/whole grains so I do a half and half, this works for our family and I figure it's still healthier than most products in the store (and did I mention cheaper?)

This is the recipe I use.  I mix my dough in a bread maker, this saves a lot of time for me.  I bake it in the oven however.  This dough recipe can be used without a bread maker though and I will include the instructions for hand mixing below as well.

Add ingredients in this order into the bread maker:
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of REAL unsalted butter, melted (make sure its completely melted, any type of oil also works)
1 teasp salt
2 Tblsp sugar
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
2 teasp yeast

All dough to mix in bread maker on Mix setting.  Bread maker should mix, knead and raise dough but not cook it.
Once done dump onto lightly floured surface, knead 5 minutes, shape for whatever you need it for and allow to raise a second time approx 20 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (no matter what I am making I always bake at the same temp and for the same time, even pizza)

If you do not have a bread maker you want to make the 1/4 cup of water HOT water.  Combine with the 2 teasp of yeast and allow to sit 6 minutes or so.
Combine dry ingredients in 1 bowl and wet (minus the water/yeast combo) in another.
Combine wet and dry together, adding in the yeast as well.
Dump out onto counter top and knead at least 10 minutes.  Allow to raise for an hour and repeat kneading 5-10 minutes.
Shape for whatever you are wanting to make, allow a second raise 20 minutes and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

It's easier and the bread is way softer when done in the bread maker, in my opinion that is.

So, who's in??  If you are a blogger I would LOVE for you to blog along with me as you try to complete this challenge.  Since I now have Twitter I will also be posting as I go using #30DayChallenge.

I also have a great tortilla and Naan (Indian) bread recipe I will share in the upcoming week.

Love,
this Twitter-tastic mama,
Christy

4 comments:

  1. I'm following you on Twitter now!

    Sam makes us bread a lot, but I'm intrigued to see how it goes for you to make ALL of it. I'm impressed you already do so much. Of course, we don't have a bread maker, so it's the old-fashioned way here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I must admit if I did not have a bread maker I am not sure I would be so quick to make as much dough as I do. I make dough almost everyday for something. For this challenge I will have to make it everyday as our family could easily go trough 1 loaf the size I bake in a day, EASILY haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren from Hobo Mama told me about your challenge when I said maybe I'd bake my own bread all month in anticipation of the January Natural Parenting Carnival...so I'll play along! I will try to follow you on Twitter if I can find your Twitter name somewhere.
    Last night I made French bread and it was ridiculously easy-just flour, water, salt, and yeast! (I don't have a breadmaker though, but my Kitchenaid mixer does the kneading for me which is basically the only hard part)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crunchy Con Mommy, I would love it if you would share the French bread recipe :). I love French bread!
    My twitter name is MommyOutnumber
    I would love to follow you on Twitter too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...