Saturday, September 25, 2010

Momnesia

If you have never heard of "momnesia" then you are obviously not a mom.  Momnesia is a form of forgetfulness moms get after giving birth.  Since I have given birth 3 times now you would think that it would be something I am used to but  I'm not  I think it must get worse each time or something because I have never had it this bad before.  Maybe your brain never fully heals or returns to normal after each birth so the more times you give birth the worse the condition becomes.  If that's the case then I don't know how Michelle Duggar even remembers how to walk or talk haha.

Usually with momnesia is not that big of  a deal.  People like to tease you for being so silly and forgetful.  You normally forget little things, like what you went to the store to buy, where you put your car keys or cell phone, maybe occasionally what your kids name is.  Its usually nothing big or life changing just annoying little things.  This time around I am forgetting the normal mundane things but also much bigger things as well.

I forget so much stuff I cannot even sit here and list to you all the things I have forgotten, because I forgot them all.  Most of the day I walk around in this sleep deprived haze and I am always anxious because I know I am forgetting something, I just can't remember what it is.  I usually remember everything I forgot to do that day while laying in bed trying to go to sleep.  I will tell myself I will remember everything in the morning but of course I don't.

This time around I am even forgetting bills!  We just paid a $90 trash bill last week, not because we didn't have the money to pay the bill before then but because I kept forgetting!  I don't even know how many months it had to be in order to get that high but it was SEVERAL.  We only pay $20 a month!  I am surprised they kept picking it up honestly.  Not that I remember to take the trash out either.  I have forgotten the trash 4 weeks in a row now.  I always remember on Friday afternoon, too bad the trash truck comes early Friday morning and therefore needs to be put out on Thursday night.

The biggest bill I have forgotten, so far, is car insurance!  We pay our car insurance on 4 monthly installments but the policy is a 6 month policy so you get 2 months in a row where you don't have to pay the bill.  I thought our 2 free months were August and September and then the new policy started in October. WRONG!  The free months were July and August with the new policy starting in September.  I didn't realize it until we got the notice in the mail saying "your policy has been canceled for nonpayment" WHAT!?  Its bad, you name the bill I have forgotten it at least once in the past 3 months!  I got the DirecTV bill in the mail a few days ago and couldn't figure out why it was 2x the normal amount.  I could have sworn I paid it in August but obviously I didn't  I am going to be like that lady on Dr. Phil getting the electricity shut off and cars repoed not because the money was not there to pay but because I can't remember to pay.  OK, so hopefully it will not get THAT bad but its pretty bad.
Honestly, now that I think of it our water did get shut off 1 time after Kimmy was born because I forget to pay it so I guess I am that bad sometimes.

I also spend half my day looking for things.  Constantly looking for the TV remote, my phone, my keys, Snappis for the diapers, so and so's favorite toy, the bills, etc.  I just spent 3 days looking for a missing diaper cover only to discover it had been in the diaper bag the entire time, SERIOUSLY!  WOW!  That is bad!

The scariest Momnesia moment yet happened yesterday, as I was getting ready to leave to pick up Teddy from preschool.  I was trying to load the 3 girls into the van.  Kimmy and Karma were running around crazy because they wanted to play outside, not go bye bye.  I had to catch each of them and put them into the van.  Then I got into the van and started it up.  I was about to pull out of the driveway when my dog ran in front of the van.  She is very bad about this and I am always paranoid I will hit her so I watched her to see where she was going.  As she ran around to the other side I saw Sariah sitting on the walk way strapped into her seat just staring at me like "where are you going mom, I think you forgot something".  Its funny now to type it but it was not so funny yesterday.  What if I had drove away and just left her sitting there!!  That was a terrifying thought!

I need to find something to help me get over this annoying condition.  Its no  longer just forgetting silly little things its now to the point of forgetting bills and my BABY!  Its beyond ridiculous now.  Seriously, how do you get over momnesia?  I am willing to try just about anything to rid myself of this.  I tell people all the time my brain is mush and I laugh about it, but it seriously is.

I also believe that there may be a such thing as "Dadnesia" too, that or my hubby is very spoiled haha.  Probably the later is true.  He will take the trash out if I say "hey tomorrow is trash day" but he rarely remembers on his own.  He makes the money but leaves it up to me to make sure the bills get paid every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...