Sunday, May 29, 2011

Flats and Hand Wash Challenge Day 6 recap

I am not really sure what to write about, yesterday was pretty uneventful for us in The Flats and Hand Wash ChallengeNo poopy surprises (unless you count the fact that I discovered little bodies do NOT digest grape skins!  It took me a minute to figure out what was floating in the water!), no tornados, no creative drying.  It was a pretty normal day.

At this point, the flats have just become second nature to me.  As if we have been doing it forever.  I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it.  I have the wash cycles down.  We wake in the morning, I change all 3 girls using the flats that are dry and hanging up from the night before.  Once changed, I take the nighttime diapers and the rest of the diapers that did not get washed from the day before and wash them.  Once they are washing I hang them up on our handy dandy drying "rack" (aka crib side rail).  Then around 5-6 in the evening I wash again.  By that time the am diapers are dry and ready to use.  I hang the second load of diapers and leave them to dry overnight.  We repeat again the next day.

I have even found my groove when it comes to keeping up with the rest of our laundry.  Now, when I do the first hand wash load in the morning I throw some clothes in the washing machine.  Sometimes I even do a second load of clothes in the evening when I hand wash the second load of diapers. 

Now that I have the schedule down I have not had to worry about oven or iron drying any flats.  We have had pretty much no sun all week.  If we could have had at least a few hours of sun each day then the entire challenge would have been much easier.  At the same time I am glad it was rainy and cool outside all week, that way I was able to see what it would be like to have to live this challenge in tough times as well.

The blue Dawn and Purex Crystals combo is working great for cleaning our diapers.  They smell so nice while washing and drying and feel soft to the touch.  They are both easily available and reasonably priced making them great options for moms in need.

Today is technically the last day but I am going to continue through tomorrow.  All day today I am going to attempt to document the regular everyday items in my house that I use to make this challenge easier and tomorrows post is going to be titled "Use What You Have".  Many moms, if they were creative enough, could start cloth diapering for little to no money if they just used the things they already had around them.

So, until tomorrow's post......

Love,
this in the groove mama,
Christy

P.S. Today we are supposed to have some SUN!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's so great you are trying stuff like the Blue Dawn. It really shows that you don't have to spend a ton of cash of cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...